When I was 18 my mum gave me a vacuum cleaner. It had previously belonged to a friend of hers, and was kindly donated to me as I was setting up home for the first time and was living on a restricted budget. I was grateful to have it, until it died of old age. By then I wanted to buy a new one although, as I settled for the cheapest model I could find, the machine was far less efficient and lasted less than two years before falling apart. Since then I've bought many cleaning appliances, and some have been far more efficient than others.
I've learned that the those of 'higher quality' are not always the best in fact, and that you don't always get what you pay for...and of course advertising can lead you astray and cause you to overlook key requirements.
When you really want something that does a good job, you need to carry out some research and not be led off track by products that are perhaps being more widely advertised. Contrary to popular advice I've also learned to avoid purchasing cleaners upon a friends recommendation...because although well meant, and often helpful, different people have different needs. For instance, a friend may need a cleaner that is efficient for hard floors, whilst I need one that removes pet hairs from carpets.
Mediumship is, I feel, rather like this. There are different forms of mediumship, and different mediums work with differing efficiency. It's an undeniable fact that what 'hits the spot' when it comes to evidential value varies a great deal from one recipient to another. What might convince me may not convince you, and visa versa.
All this said, it saddens me that some mediums hand can hand over a dustpan and brush and claim that it's a Dyson...and somehow manage to convince people of this. Surely what I say has a ring of truth about it?