Last evening I sat in séance in support of a comparatively newly developing physical medium. Each séance is held on an experimental basis and we have yet to confirm the optimum sitting conditions. Therefore, prior to the sitting the medium and I had together agreed to trial blackout conditions with the cabinet curtains closed for an extended period before switching to red light, and later potentially opening the cabinet curtains. And so the séance began...
It soon became clear that the extended period of blackout enabled me to see movements, like dense patches within the room, and similar visual affects. However, as the period of darkness extended I became uncertain that 'we' were on the right track...I wasn't sure that the spirit team 'needed' the extended period of darkness. However, I turned on the red lighting at the time previously agreed, and very soon again, although I was then able to see some energy-based visual presentations I felt uncertain that the conditions offered were truly at their most effective. Later, when the cabinet curtains were opened it became obvious that the conditions were most suitable for the spiritually effected phenomena to become demonstrated.
Next time we will, of course, provide a shorter period of darkness, followed by dimmed red lighting and an opened cabinet.
This brings me to the reason for my writing this description of events. It is simply this...that those unfamiliar with the developmental process, assume that we sit and invite spirit forward and (phenomena) simply 'happens'. Which is partially true in fact, but the developmental process isn't as simple as that. Often a developing medium's spirit team (and my own spirit guides) will not offer definitive advice at the start...in fact seldom do they do so at this point. The building blocks of development are complex. It is as if there are multi-complex shape and size variations within the blocks and it is through trial and error, dedication and practise that the blocks (like a jig-saw puzzle) become built into 'something'...and it is often only after this initial period, when dedication has become demonstrated by the earthly participants, that the spirit team comes forward to advise further.
I have a friend who is newly hosting a development circle and he is currently experiencing frustration as sitters come and go, with only a few remaining constant. Currently he holds the expectation that his circle requirement is for six sitters, three male and three female..to be seated alternately within the room in order for optimum balance to be achieved. He feels that only then will development begin.
I have gently pointed out that, in my experience, the sexual orientation of sitters is irrelevant...but apparently someone that he perceives to be wiser has told him differently...and so he must find his way. Indeed, more than this, he will find his way and may in fact find that when the balance of sitters he requires has become effected the developmental process will begin, for spirit currently awaits their invitation to participate...and such an invitation will, it seems, only become offered by my friend once his own needs have become met.