I was bored last night...and as a result took to reading a dictionary. This might not be everyone's choice of pastime when bored...but it's certainly something that gives me a lot of pleasure.
I have to say that I used to remember the words that attracted me at such times...but with advancing years I'm inclined to forget. This is a matter of increasing delight...as with limited recall it means that I can find the words again as if anew! Here are a couple of words found last night...
Elipsis: Refers to 'superfluous conversation'.
Now...why isn't this word more widely known and used? Look how much time it would save! As soon as the subject of a conversation is made clear...the rest of the waffle could simply and politely be halted with "I've got the message! Let's skip the elipsis!" I do hope that I can remember this!
Adipose: Refers to 'Fatty tissue'.
Now...isn't that a useful word to block argument? "What you are saying clearly makes a lot of sense to you. Let's just agree that what you are saying is akin to adipose and leave it at that!"